END

Currently sitting in our last class thinking about everything we’ve done and all the different films we’ve watched. I’ve definitely enjoyed this course and learning about films makes me look at other films differently. Different in a way of greater understanding. I’m sure many if not all of you will agree with me. The most interesting film to me was “Highschool” due to the reason it was so raw and familiar to my past experience. Least enjoyed film was “Act of killing” found it disturbing and unnecessary. I understand that there’re some crazy people out there who enjoy and think of acting in that manner but don’t think it should be recreated in form of entertainment. Highly recommended to take this course if looking for a different experience in college plus it’s a writing intensive course and WE NEED THAT. –ROB, OUT.

2 thoughts on “END

• May 23, 2017 at 9:51 pm
    Permalink

Yeah, I’m gonna miss this class. My favorite film was The Stories we tell, only because I was really interested in hearing about her family’s messed up relationships. My least favorite was Tongues Untied mostly because I don’t really enjoy super poetic stuff. I can never take it serious enough, it usually comes off as pretentious to me for some reason. While I agree with you in that The Act of Killing was disturbing and unnecessary, I feel like after hearing the director’s interviews I understand why it turned out the way it did. He allowed them free reign to boast so that it would more easily be shown in Indonesia. The boasting and horrible acting in itself shows to the Indonesian people how depraved these Panascila Youth really are. As for writing intensive, even though it was a lot of writing for me it was done in a way that even I could handle. It’s a good class for getting your writing intensive requirement indeed. I don’t regret taking the class but I think the hours that we left were a bit too late. They should offer the class earlier in the day more often.

Reply
  • May 24, 2017 at 10:39 am
    Permalink

Thanks for these posts, guys. I sometimes consider cutting High School from the class, but most of you all enjoyed it and really got what Wiseman was trying to do with it, so it’s a keeper for sure. The Act of Killing is one that I have mixed feelings about, but I appreciate Gilbert’s point about looking at interviews with Oppenheimer. If I keep that one in the course, that will be something to add.

Reply