Stories We Tell

I’ve had my mind on this film for a little while now. I was thinking as to whether or not i’d watch another documentary and write about that or write about this one. The reason for that being is the actress/film maker Sarah Polley starts out seeming to want to make a film about the mother she never really knew. Her mother was also an actress with a story you probably wouldn’t want to make public. I keep asking myself why. Why would you risk tainting the way everyone saw her mother? She incidentally found out her father was not her biological relative. Through her research she eventually comes across her biological father and another man who was sleeping with her mother while she was married. Who knows what else she had done in secret. I think to myself usually when a woman gets demonized for infidelity the argument i hear if it had been a guy he would of been “the man” but that’s not the way i think. Men should absolutely be demonized for their transgressions, just as harshly. we live in a constantly evolving world where we should slowly mold ourselves into what we want to be. We all have faults, i have a huge problem with procrastination i can admit that freely. I overthink almost every aspect of my life and in the end i feel i haven’t achieved anything just getting lost in thought. In doing so i cause myself great anxiety. So in a way stories we tell reminds me of what i just did. Tell a story about myself that does not serve a purpose.

4 thoughts on “Stories We Tell

• May 9, 2017 at 7:08 pm
    Permalink

Stories we tell is an interesting film, a girl sets out to find information about her mother who passed away at a young age. Not knowing to much about her mom the girl who is also the filmmaker interviews all her siblings, her mom husband, and some of mothers close friends to find out more about her mother. The she made the film was pretty interesting using footage that seemed to be real life footage was actually reenactments. Mind you not all footage was reenactments, she did a great job finding actors that resembles her family members and did a fanatics job mixing real footage and reenactment footage. She accomplished this by using the same type of camera that would’ve been used around that time. It’s clear to see film maker’s mom was pretty popular each family member and close friend all had good memories even though later on in the film you find out she was a little promiscuous. So promiscuous that film maker finds out that her mom ended up getting pregnant by another man witch turns out to be her biological father. If you ask me I’m not surprised she had other affairs guy who she had thought was her real dad was kind of a wet blanket even though he was an incredible writer his love life seemed boring and dry witch sometimes can drive a woman like the film makers mom to another man bed, not justifying what she did was right. I do agree with Rafael with the fact we don’t know all the secrets of the film directors mom defiantly some grey areas in her love life, after that being said I feel stories we tell was great way to shoot a documentary even though I do understand how people could get let on not knowing prior that most of the scene where actually reenactments.

Reply
  • May 16, 2017 at 10:53 am
    Permalink

i agree 100% with this. The film was very interesting but what was the point behind it. The director of the film was basically making a documentary showing that her mother was married and cheated on who she thought was her real father for years apon years. The whole world now knows that your mother had an affair while she was away. I still don’t understand why she made that a documentary film. But overall it served no purpose in telling the story unless it was informing us about something interesting that was going on. But it didn’t. Overall I thought it was a entertaining film to watch. Also all the reenactments that actually looked like home videos had me fooled because that whole time i was watching the documentary i thought that they were personal home videos.

Reply
  • May 16, 2017 at 5:27 pm
    Permalink

I think that the only purpose really was for her to get her truth across before anyone made up more stories, rumors or lies. On the other hand I did think that it was an entertaining film to watch. I love how down to earth it seemed from the very beginning. ” Who cares about our family? Can I swear?” It’s seems like a joke and completely convinces a lot of people that these are real people talking about their stories. Finding out that the family videos were reenactments too was also really funny because of how well done it was. The family movies seemed like awesome pieces on info on what their mother was like and it was just reenacted.
    The voices accumulating really summarizes the thoughts of the family as well as the narrator’s Michael Polley. The son also calls the mom out on being irresponsible which is also another huge point in the film. The mom slept around way too much and it was just way too unfair for those people that she cared about and irresponsible in general. Lastly, I did enjoy the story element mixed in with specifically Michael’s narration. The film was told very similar to a story and the children did not like Michael that much . It really was a weird ride

Reply
  • May 23, 2017 at 12:56 am
    Permalink

Like we had previously discussed in class that day i believe she wanted to dish out all the dirty before media outlets did it. It lets her in a way control the spread. It’s pretty funny that the first guy she thought was her maybe father did actually sleep with her too.. That lady just couldn’t keep it in her pants I guess. Like you, I feel like both sides should be demonized. Cheating is one of those things I really hate, if you’re going to not have the self control just don’t be in a monogamous relationship in the first place. I felt bad for that dad but at the same time I was getting just a little bit upset about how much of a pushover he was being. He seriously needed to grow a spine and not be such a cuckold. As for the reenactments, I too was one of the people tricked by their authenticity. She made them flow naturally enough with actors and makeup that worked extremely well at mimicking the appearance of the actual people. Bushra said in another blog “when her dad was narrating, or reciting the voice over script, she would have him repeat himself only on certain lines. Maybe some people thought she didn’t like the way he said the lines, or he didn’t say it clearly, but based on the specific lines she made him repeat, plus her facial expressions, I feel like it was more of a personal reason behind it. I feel like she really wanted her dad to feel certain emotions and think about the lines he was saying, she didn’t want him to just do a voice over, but also have him open up to her without directly doing so.” I think thats a very cool observation from her, I never thought of it like that. Before hearing this idea, I didn’t like him narrating it.

Reply