My Transgender Kid: Netflix Film

Bringing myself to watch this film was a little hard for me seeing how I do have my own feelings towards this topic. Watching this film made me realize that myself as a parent in the future would have dealt with a situation like this much differently then the way these parents dealt with it. Not to say the way they handled it is wrong, its just very different from myself. These parents were allowing their 7 year old children transform themselves to the opposite gender from which they were born. They were allowing them to make the choice on going to school in this way and changing their names completely. I’m not saying that it is wrong to become transgender or that it doesn’t exist, but what i am saying is that i don’t feel that is the appropriate age to allow that change to happen. I feel like as a parent you should tell your child in this instance that they undersgtand how they are feeling and the things they want but as for now to just grow up as a child and when they gain experience understanding of the world and what they are saying then they can make a decision as big as that one. At the age of 7 they don’t fully understand the consequences that will happen from their decisions and actions. I feel like now a days parents are too eager to have their children grow up and become adults. Parents now a days don’t allow their children to be just that children.

3 thoughts on “My Transgender Kid: Netflix Film

• March 6, 2017 at 3:42 pm
    Permalink

This is pretty interesting. I haven’t seen the film, so I wonder if the director(s) are more in favor of what the parents and kids are doing (transitioning at a young age) or are they skeptical?

Reply
    • March 6, 2017 at 7:44 pm
      Permalink

The way the film is shot is more of a unbiased stand point. They pretty much just allow the parents and children speak their minds on the issue. And an explanation on how they found out and how they live their lives on a day to day basis. At one point of the film they followed the family into a store where they were doing back to school shopping and basically just showed the conversation between the child and the parents on deciding whether the child was going to go to school as their “true” identity or keep it as is. So in my opinion i feel like this was more of a see how they live sort of film rather than a I’m for or against it.

Reply
  • March 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm
    Permalink

WHAT?! that’s insane. Your kid hasn’t even gone through puberty and hasn’t even fully developed mentally to let them try and become a transgender. I agree with you on the point you made of modern day parents let their children grow up to fast cause they see things on social media. Young children always want to try do things they see it’s part of being a kid but there’s a limit you should give your child. Cause there’s no way in h*ll my future child is going to establish that he/she’s gay, bisexual or transgender at such a young age. I would definitely say that’s bad parenting. As a parent you’re supposed to mold your child in certain ways and help them grow up.

Reply