High school 1968 film Thoughts

Personally to me this film was the best documentary ever made about education. It capture the natural essence of individuals been part of the high school environment. The reality of education in that time was recorded in film. It kind of upsets me to see how well grounded the education was back then and how it has gotten worst nowadays. This film showed the connection of teachers and students how the educators become second parents demonstrating concern in shaping young adults for better life. It looks like they meddle in the students life so much but it did help them to understand types of manners society expects and different things they can become to contribute to the society they live in. They even had extracurricular classes like cooking and typing. Now because the public school lacks of funding the first things to cut down it school clubs and the arts. Now kids in these days are getting worst it does not matter if its high school lower grade schools are dealing with kids schools behaviors too. At the age of six kids call there teacher’s bitch well knowing what it means. Some of them even elementary grade age students are violent to the teacher and the teacher can’t not protect oneself can even throw a punch not even touch them. They have to let the kids or teenagers beat the crap out of them and the only thing they can do is write an accident report for the principal to pick the degree of punishment the kid can receive.

Today teachers have to be afraid of the kids so they don’t lose their job. They are so many laws that protect the children and I understand they should be. But the laws that protect children in the school environment should change. So many teachers end up losing their jobs unfairly due to child who is been malevolent and knows the law favors them. Principals in the public system are afraid of parents and they put more pressure in teachers just to please the parents. Now parents these days they relay too much in technology as a help to raising kids and that is why the child behavior worsens. There is lost of cases of children breaking tables or computers because the teachers didn’t allow them to use it went they ask for it. This is why teachers cant get too involve in students lives because they have to watch their back first, they are on their own and is so easy to lose their jobs. To me Frederick Wiseman observational documentary mode of a high school is magnificent. He should do his observational documentary of all public schools from k all the way to 12 grades without asking permission of principals. If he does that all the staff member would be aware of it and the documentary would be a fake as the film will show everything is okay when it is not. Teachers now they teach they don’t educate with knowledge and morals. Because that’s what the law and fear has reduced them to.

3 thoughts on “High school 1968 film Thoughts

• March 6, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    Permalink

I agree with you – this film captures something great. There’s a lot that’s totally different from the way schools work today, but the methods of the film (its observational mode) give us the sense of being there and experiencing along with the kids/teachers/parents. I suppose some of the people in the film might think it’s not totally accurate (I mean all those kids were really paying attention when the English teacher was reading poetry aloud… such close attention paying is probably not as common when a camera isn’t in the room!) but overall it feels representative. And Wiseman has done this for other institutions – there was a High School 2 as well as At Berkeley (about a university within the U of California system).

Reply
  • March 7, 2017 at 12:19 am
    Permalink

I definitely can agree with genesis on education has went down from how the film shows to what it is now. It is amazing how the filmmaker caught everything in its natural essence without having anyone play a specific role. I feel like this film really didnt need actors to project a specific concept or view. Here in the film like genesis mentions the students and teacher do share a specific bond the guidance counselor would sit down with the student and parents and speak to them about there future. When i was in high school none of that happened. No one spoke to us on what career we wanted to have or what school we wanted to go in. Everything was done individually in the sense of your research on the school you wanted to go to as well as the career you felt were right and achievable for you. As far as extra curricular activities it is surprising to hear that not a lot of school offered programs like cooking because my school had a crazy amount of programs. We had cooking, carpentry, auto shop which was for cars and we had electrician class for wiring. To hear certain schools weren’t provided with such classes is hard to see. A lot of teachers really do fear students its true in this country a lot of things are in the favor of students to a certain extent but i feel like that shouldn’t stop a teacher from trying to impact someones a students life. Especially if the student has potential they should be there and give them insight on what they should be striving for. Not only that but a lot of students don’t really learn before they reach college. Maybe the teachers need to squeeze through everything to get it all out for the students but certain things that I probably should of learned in high school ill just be learning now in college which i find crazy and not fair to us especially since our education system is free we should get the most of it.

Reply
  • March 7, 2017 at 12:57 am
    Permalink

I agree! Throughout the film I felt like none of the actions made were staged, and the naturalness prevailed because all the people in the film seemed to be focused on doing their own thing and they wouldn’t look directly into the camera. Also, while watching I thought of a typical traditional school setting because of the way the scenes were laid out. There would be scenes of students in the hallway, teachers speaking to their class, counselors speaking to students, students in gym class, and etc., For example the teachers being zoomed into, showing that they are the focus of attention and the typical reactions students would make: some daydreaming not giving a care in the world about whats going on and others actually being attentive. I feel like the teachers did pay more attention to the students, but then again that could’ve just seemed like that based on the specific classes that Wiseman filmed, maybe the other classes the teachers didn’t show much care and maybe thats why those parts weren’t shown? The scene where the dean was speaking with the student telling him what he did was wrong reminded me of how deans would act like in my high school. It was just the time period that was different in which the people dressed and how they communicated with one another, but I feel like that overall concept of students getting in trouble and deans taking control are common in high schools all over America. I like how the fim did a great job being filmed in observational mode, because the way that Wiseman paid close attention to his subjects, especially by zooming into their movement, like their mouth and hands. However, this documentary was different from the other ones we watched, because I seemed to have a personal connection with this one, and I feel like most of us do because we’ve all been through high school and can relate to scenes that went on the film or disagree with some things that went on depending on the experiences we gained that have shaped our perspective. Throughout the documentary I felt this weird vibe when Wismen filmed girls in the gym class and would zoom into their legs, I felt that to be somewhat pedophilic and was wondering if there was a purpose for doing that? However, other than scenes like that, I felt like the film was a great depiction to convery the general feel of how high schools like, and the how attitudes and behavior of children, parents, and adminstrators were portrayed.

Reply