Who took Johnny

I was searching on Netflix and came across this documentary about a child named Johnny Gosch. This documentary was based on the events that occurred after his kidnapping through the law enforcement, the struggles of his parents, and his struggles while being captured. This case began in 1982 and to this day Johnny is still considered as a missing person. For a long time the police and the FBI were just looking at this case as a kid who ran away from home nobody felt it was possible for an individual to just snatch up a child in broad day light without there being any evidence or crime scene. Back at that period of time nobody really knew or understood the words pedophile or child sex trafficking. These terms and thoughts of this happening were unheard of. This case was the change to the fact of police having to wait 72 hours before taking action on a missing child. This went on for 30 years with out any word or knowledge of Johnny being alive to his mother. One day a man named Paul came forward and told his truth on the things he was forced to do to Johnny as well as many other children being abducted, he also explained the things that these children were also being forced to do and how there was pictures and videos being taken of these actions. Police felt he was an unreliable witness and was later diagnosed as having multiple personality disorder caused by the sexual trauma he endured. So much evidence was brought up that could have been investigated and the police as well as the FBI refused to seek interest in it or just shot down the idea of any evidence being present. There were even pictures that were brought to their attention of young boys being tied up and gagged that was posted on a child pornography website that they sought out to be unfounded. This to me makes me sick to my stomach, I honestly feel (after watching this documentary) that there must have been some individuals on the police force that had to  be involved with these crimes. Its just so hard for me to believe that these officers would just turn a blind eye to this if they weren’t somehow involved or knew what was going on.

3 thoughts on “Who took Johnny

• February 27, 2017 at 10:12 am
    Permalink

After reading your post even with as horrible and unjust as some of the details sounded, it’s definitely something I’m going to try and check out. Although I’ve never personally seen the documentary I completely agree with your point of finding it hard to believe that those officers would just turn a blind eye and not investigate further. There have been many instances when there was ether a case that got major media attention and we’d hear about for days or even something as simple as a date line episode that after hearing about it I question if there was more that could be done or further investigation that could of helped the case come out with a different outcome. While reading this I began to think of the Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped in her teen years and held captive for I think somewhere around 10 or 15years. She was raped repeatedly by her kidnapper and ended up having two children by him. After she was found it was reported that her kidnapper would take the children he had with Dugard out in the public eye multiple times, but it wasn’t until an officer noticed the strange behavior that the whole case was cracked open. To me it just seems like there’s obviously a very fine line between officers that just don’t want to look into the small things because they believe it couldn’t possibly lead to anything and officers that do look into the small things just because it could possibly lead to something. It also interested me what you had to say about Paul and how the officers seemed to kind of brush off his statements. After watching it do you agree that Paul was a valuable witness and his statements should of been taken more seriously?

Reply
    • February 27, 2017 at 8:35 pm
      Permalink

As I was reading your blog, I was thinking of the same exact case Jenna brought up, the Jaycee Dugard case. Just like Jenna pointed out, before an officer found it strange which lead to the case being solved, she was kidnapped, raped, and abused many years prior to it. I felt like she would’ve been found and saved way earlier in the case if the cops had thoroughly searched Phillip Garrido, the kidnapper’s home. Phillip Garrido kidnapped and raped another girl in the same location as Jaycee but they didn’t make a connection between the two, and one of the neighbors even called the cops to inform them that he kept tents with children behind his house, had psychotic behavior, and he had sexual addictions, yet the cops still didn’t check his house or the tents. I don’t get how they didn’t even bother to try to get a warrant to check out his place. Just like in your blog, the cops brushed off what Paul had said, the cops had also brushed off what the neighbors said in Jaycee’s case. In Johnny Gosch’s case, I don’t think it was just a lack of the FBI and the police department’s effort, I think there is much more to it. It’s a sick world we live in, and sometimes people who have higher authorities aren’t as clean as we would assume them to be, so the reasons for why the FBI didn’t investigate the case might have much more complicated reasons than we think. Especially since it sounds like child pornography was involved, which means money was involved.

Reply
  • February 28, 2017 at 11:01 am
    Permalink

Crime and kidnapping documentaries can be really interesting and disturbing. I haven’t seen any of the ones you all describe here, but I often wonder what’s the best way to represent a subject who we should be treating with such sensitivity? When I sometimes see TV shows, like segments on Dateline or 20/20, it feels like they’re *not* always being very sensitive, and I wonder if the constraints of documentary TV production (with the need to appeal to a variety of viewers) make for too much spectacle related to kidnapping victims and their families.

Reply